Thursday, January 22, 2009
Library Loot 2
1. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
2. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
3. Airhead by Meg Cabot
4. Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
5. What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt
6. Ten Things I Hate About Me by Randa Abdel-Fattah
Also, I still have Slam by Nick Hornby checked out from the library and I picked up Smoke and Ashes by Neil Gaiman from a charity shop. Nothing for Elliot from the library this week as I had to rush off to another appointment.
1. I recently watched the Studio Ghibli film adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle and felt like reading the book. I'd checked it out once before without any success.
2. Last year I read Unaccustomed Earth as well as Interpreter of Maladies and quite enjoyed them so wanted to read The Namesake and see how Lahiri does with a full-length novel.
3. I heart Meg Cabot.
4. After reading Affinity others had said her other novel set in Victorian times, Fingersmith was fantastic. Seems a bit long for me though, I'm ot sure.
5. A 1001 Book. Haven't heard much about it, picked it up on a whim. The dedication (which I rarely read, in this case 'For Paul Auster' or something similar) was the deciding factor.
6. I'm sure I read a review of this recently. Can't remember where I read it though! Sorry to whichever blog it was!
As for the Neil Gaiman book. I've been finding it really difficult to locate his books short of going into a bookstore and buying them. My local library has nothing, no one on ReadItSwapIt, the book swap website I use, wants to swap their Neil Gaiman books for mine and five charity shops later I have the one book. At least it's a small success.
I'm still reading Tomato Girl by Jayne Pupek but have also picked up Airhead to read first.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
I feel guilty as I am always promising to go to the library and never get there. I am also addicted to 3 for 2 in Waterstones, so whats this book swap thing you mention. I really need to move some books out of thehouse before I'm divorced! FxReplyDelete
Hooray for Library Loot!ReplyDelete
ooh love the loot this week! Have fun with it!ReplyDelete
I loved the film of Howl's Moving Castle. I really should read the book, though I know its very different.ReplyDelete
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Smoke and Mirrors. It's my favourite of Neil Gaiman's short story collections. Enjoy!
I will keep a look out for Neil Gaiman books for you in the charity shops. American Gods isn't mine, otherwise you could have had that. If I ever come across my copy in my garage, its yours.ReplyDelete
Looks like you found some great reads :) Enjoy your books!ReplyDelete
Very nice loot! I love Howl's, and Fingersmith is on my tbr pile too.ReplyDelete
There are so many good stories in Smoke and Mirrors! Enjoy :-)ReplyDelete
Fingersmith is on my tbr pile too! Happy Library Loot!ReplyDelete
Love library loot!ReplyDelete
I loved The Namesake and Affinity. I hope you enjoy those.
Hey and how are you liking Tomato Girl? I barely started it but have put it aside as I'm about to finish one of my other books. I'll get back to it hopefully this weekend.
I've heard great things about Fingersmith! What I Love sounds interesting, but I'm always attracted to a foreign-sounding author name, lol.ReplyDelete