Thursday, January 22, 2009
Library Loot 2
1. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
2. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
3. Airhead by Meg Cabot
4. Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
5. What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt
6. Ten Things I Hate About Me by Randa Abdel-Fattah
Also, I still have Slam by Nick Hornby checked out from the library and I picked up Smoke and Ashes by Neil Gaiman from a charity shop. Nothing for Elliot from the library this week as I had to rush off to another appointment.
1. I recently watched the Studio Ghibli film adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle and felt like reading the book. I'd checked it out once before without any success.
2. Last year I read Unaccustomed Earth as well as Interpreter of Maladies and quite enjoyed them so wanted to read The Namesake and see how Lahiri does with a full-length novel.
3. I heart Meg Cabot.
4. After reading Affinity others had said her other novel set in Victorian times, Fingersmith was fantastic. Seems a bit long for me though, I'm ot sure.
5. A 1001 Book. Haven't heard much about it, picked it up on a whim. The dedication (which I rarely read, in this case 'For Paul Auster' or something similar) was the deciding factor.
6. I'm sure I read a review of this recently. Can't remember where I read it though! Sorry to whichever blog it was!
As for the Neil Gaiman book. I've been finding it really difficult to locate his books short of going into a bookstore and buying them. My local library has nothing, no one on ReadItSwapIt, the book swap website I use, wants to swap their Neil Gaiman books for mine and five charity shops later I have the one book. At least it's a small success.
I'm still reading Tomato Girl by Jayne Pupek but have also picked up Airhead to read first.