Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Back to the library..
Over the last few weeks, I was being silly and trying not to visit the library as much. The goal was to start reading my own books. It worked for a little while, and then not so much. So, to make up for it, I've been to the library twice in the last two days. Here's what I've picked up:
1. The Perfect Man by Sheila O'Flanagan - I like a bit of chick-lit every now and then. I'm sure I haven't read this one yet.
2. Generation A by Douglas Coupland - Kind of hit or miss with Coupland, but this one sounds good. Might have to fight it out with N to read it though.
3. Heroes of the Valley by Jonathan Stroud - Hadn't heard of this title before but loved Stroud's Amulet of Samarkand.
4. Roundabout by Rhiannon Lassiter - Never heard of it before, just liked the cover!
5. Underworld by Cathy Macphail - another one I've never heard of, about 5 kids trapped in a cave. Sounds spooky and just right for this time of year.
6. Dancing Girls by Margaret Atwood - I heart Margaret Atwood. Only ever read her dystopic stuff though and I feel I really should read something else by her.
7. Death at Intervals by Jose Saramago - I really want to read Blindness, but this one will do for now.
8. Road of the Dead by Kevin Brooks (not pictured) - Recently recommended to me by a friend. It's not in the photo because it's on my bedside table! Started it last night.
And I've been acquiring books in other ways as well. Mostly book swapping sites and charity shops, but also the lovely Keris sent me two books! Yay for books in the post :)
1. Candy by Kevin Brooks - Bought for 20p at my library sale based on a friend's recommendation.
2. The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro - Seems kind of chunky, but I've been liking what I've read of Kazuo Ishiguro.
3. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landua-Banks by E Lockhart - Heard good things about this book.
4. I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder - I've already finished this one. Not what I was expecting.
5. Girl With Glasses by Melissa Walsh - a memoir about a girl with glasses (obviously) - one that Keris sent for me. It sounds cute. And I've always been a girl with glasses.
6. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris - I started watching True Blood a couple weeks ago. Still not entirely sure about the show, but the book must be better.
7. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick - another one Keris kindly sent. Have already finished it.
8. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater - another book I've been reading about everywhere. Needed to know what the fuss was about. (Already finished it and loved it!)
9. The Graduate by Charles Webb - Saw this in a charity shop. Have never seen the film. But I was remembering that embarassing scene in Starter For Ten with James McAvoy where he mentions the book and .. oh, that's a silly reason for buying a book, isn't it?
What books have you picked up recently? What's the silliest reason you've had for buying a book?
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
wow. is all i can say for that. you are a reading machine. i am always so impressed by your stacks!!!ReplyDelete
Glad to see you enjoyed Shiver. It's one of my favorite YA reads so far this year.ReplyDelete
Oh I really loved The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, I hope you enjoy it too. Also, I'm jealous because I think I like your cover of Heroes of the Valley better than the one I read.ReplyDelete
I just got my comic book shipment so know how you feel - where to start butReplyDelete
Jonathan Stroud has a new book? Ok I'm off the library like now
btw dead until dark is very good, as is the 2nd one Dead in Dallas haven't read the rest yet but I think you'll like themReplyDelete
I love the cover of Roundabout too! I'll be looking for your review of Underworld-the premise sounds great. :) I'm reading a different Atwood novel right now-ALias Grace. It's marvelous!ReplyDelete
Wow, that's an impressive stash of books - I wish I had a few more hours in the day to do some reading!ReplyDelete
Wow, that is one huge heap of books! Enjoy!ReplyDelete
I try to use the library less and read my own more, too, but it never works out... I have the Coupland, too. Looking forward to getting around to it!ReplyDelete
I just started Dead Until Dark yesterday and I'm not sure how I feel about it quite yet. I started watching True Blood when it first came out so I figured the time between then and now might help, but I'm not sure I like the voice of Sookie right now. I'm hoping it improves because I really want to like this series!ReplyDelete
That is some haul! Happy reading!ReplyDelete