Earlier in the month, I celebrated my 12 year moving-to-England anniversary. Two years ago, I wrote this post and I thought it might be fun to revisit it today.
This post was originally posted here on 29 September, 2010.
I'm American. I forgot to blog about it, but in August I celebrated my
10 year moving-to-England anniversary. Ten years! When people meet me
they usually ask what I miss the most about the United States. Most
people expect to hear something along the lines of close family members,
childhood friends... perhaps a loveable family pet. But no. Here are
the things that I miss the most.
- My all-time favourite type of sweet. I'd love to have these by the
bucket-load. In fact, a friend recently took a holiday to Las Vegas and
asked if I'd like anything. I only mentioned Airheads and (because she
must know me very well) she brought back a bumper box of a variety of
72 Airheads. I was in heaven and she became my best friend. I could
eat Airheads all day.
- Have you heard of these? I don't think they're very popular? But my
dad used to love them and because they were often in the house, I came
to love them too. They're just so chewy and have the fantastic honey
flavour. Love Bit-O-Honey.
3. Welch's Grape soda - How do I come to love Welch's Grape Soda as much as I do? It's a mystery, even to me. But I love that grape-y goodness!
4. Tootsie Rolls
- I remember one year my dad bought this gigantic bag of Tootsie Roll
Midgees for Halloween. Only he bought it in like, September. Yeah.
Those suckers didn't last until the end of October! When they're that
little, those things are addictive.
5. Laffy Taffy
- Mmmmm, Laffy Taffy. My favourite is apple. Sour apple? I can't
quite recall anymore. When I was little, I used to empty my piggy bank
and walk up to the 7-11 behind my house and buy what I could. And Laffy
Taffys are cheap, so they usually ended up coming home with me.
6. Almond M&Ms
- This is one the whole family loves. My dad used to buy huge bags of
these everytime he came over to visit and give some to me, to N and to
N's mother. It was a huge Almond M&M party. Understandable, as
they are delicious.
- Have you spotted a trend yet? I like fruity flavoured chewy sweets.
I never really noticed that before. I have a total of two types of
chocolate on this list, two drinks and the rest chewy sweets! This list
is making me more self-aware! (I'm such a dork.)
8. Root beer
- I have no preference for A&W or MUG. Either are very acceptable
to me. There's an American restaurant (Tony Roma's) about an hour away
that serves Mountain Dew and root beer from their menu. I love going
there. Incidentally, Mountain Dew would have been on this list, apart
from the fact that I am able to get it here in the UK finally! Certain
petrol stations in my area sell it. Woohoo. But! Root beer floats =
9. Candy Corn - Now that Halloween is around the corner, I have candy corn on my mind. Halloween just isn't the same without it :(
- Last but not least, we have Butterfinger. As I've mentioned, I don't
have a lot of chocolate on my list, but I definitely make an exception
for Butterfingers. It's the peanut-brittle-type centre. Love that
PHEW! I'm getting hungry after writing all that out!
Before you feel too sorry for me, there are certain websites that allow
for importing all of these items! I don't use them often, and what I
actually miss the most is wandering into a 7-11 (or whatever) and
picking up all those interesting new varieties of my favourite sweets
that are only found in America. I love that. Do you love these sweets
What is your favourite type of chocolate/sweet?