The library is my happy place. It always has been. I try to visit the library at least once a week, but normally twice. I like to have a variety of books to choose from. Last week I went to the library and only found two books I really wanted to read, but I also picked five or six I only sort of wanted to read because I CANNOT LEAVE THE LIBRARY WITH ONLY TWO BOOKS. What if I start one and it's the wrong timing? Then I'll be left with just the one option. And yes, I have many books at home that I own that are unread, but I always think 'they must be unread for a reason' and discount them. Here is what I picked up today and why:
1. Any Way You Want Me by Lucy Diamond - over at Caroline Smailes's blog, there is a giveaway for the latest Lucy Diamond novel. Haven't read anything of Lucy Diamond's, thought I'd give her a try.
2. Stig of the Dump by Clive King - Here's the thing. I really feel like doing this 'project' where I reread some of my favourites books from when I was a child. I was thinking maybe only two a month, but at the same time, I'd like to read some books that I missed, or wished I'd read as a child and read those as well. Including this one.
3. Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce And this one.
4. A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly - a friend recommended this to me. I'd seen it around a lot, have heard good things about it. But because of the murder aspect of it I always thought it wouldn't be my thing. Whenever I try things that I think 'aren't really my thing' I usually end up really enjoying it.
5. Touching Earth Lightly by Margo Lanagan - written by the author of Tender Morsels which I keep hearing about lately.
6. Evernight by Claudia Gray - this is one where I've heard absolutely terrible things about so I picked this up in order to form my own opinion.
7. Dancing Backwards by Salley Vickers - Whim.
8. Peter Pan by JM Barrie It turns out, I have never read this book. I thought I had, but I have not. This would be included in my children's book project. Need to think of something better to call it.
9. The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne - author of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
10. The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling Picked up for children's reading.
Leftover loot from last week:
Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
And because I always mean to show the books Oldest has picked up, and rarely do:
You're All My Favourites by Sam McBratney Curious George Visits a Toy Shop by Margaret and HA Rey I Know a Rhino by Charles Fuge Monkey and Me by Emily Gravett
I also had some time to trawl around some charity shops and picked up these books at quite the bargain:
The Gathering by Anne Enright The Night Watch by Sarah Waters Anybody Out There by Marian Keyes Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCraig
What's come into your house recently?