I had this great conversation once with someone where we were discussing the authors that we loved to read who were also really quite good-looking. It was fun to see which authors each of us loved and how each of us defined 'good-looking.' We ended up with a really long list of authors, which sadly I did not write down. Here are the highlights of that day.
1. Neil Gaiman - I'm fairly sure that Neil Gaiman would be on most people's lists. He writes beautifully, has an interesting accent, seems like the coolest guy around, the uncontrollable hair. He's very much a rock star, isn't he? Except he's an author. One whose novels I've read mostly read (but not many of his graphic novels, WAAHH!) and and I will read anything he writes. Until forever. Some of my favourites? The Graveyard Book, Coraline, American Gods, Anansi Boys, Neverwhere, Stardust.
2. John Green - Nerdfighters FTW!! This one is a little bit strange as I don't find John Green good-looking so much, but he is absolutely adorable. I saw him on one of his BlogTV broadcasts the other day, and he read poetry. And I've never wanted to know more about poetry as he did just then. When I'm watching his videos, I'm really struck by how smart and passionate he is about things, and when those things are books and words and language, then how can I not feel warm-fuzzies for him?! His books in order of my preference: Paper Towns, Looking For Alaska, Will Grayson, Will Grayson (with David Levithan), An Abundance of Katherines.
3. Markus Zusak - Let's get this out of the way first, I have yet to read The Book Thief! I know, how shocking is that? I will get to it, I promise. I did, however, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE I Am The Messenger! And Fighting Ruben Wolfe. I have Getting the Girl in my stack of books to read soon, and how excited am I that he is publishing a new book, Bridge of Clay early next year! And isn't he gorgeous?
4. Michael Chabon - Look at those eyes. I think Michael Chabon is the author I know the least about. In fact, I believe he was the person who kicked off this conversation of cute authors in the first place asI had no idea what he looked like at all! I absolute adore his novel, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (which won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2001) and have since read Wonder Boys and I'm in the process of acquiring his other books. He's one of those authors that I'm most excited to read more from.
5. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - A Nigerian author who's been quite popular within the blogging community with her two novels, Purple Hibiscus (which won the Commonwealth Writers' Prize for a first novel in 2005) and Half Of A Yellow Sun (which won the Orange Prize in 2007) I sadly have not read either despite owning them both. I have, however, read her collection of short stories, The Thing Around Your Neck and enjoyed them very much. I hear that her novels are much more complex and detailed and I'm fairly confident that I will love them to bits. So at least I have that waiting for me. Isn't she absolutely striking?!
And there we have it! Who would you include on your list of authors-you-love-to-read-who-are-also-incredibly-good-looking?