Happy New Year everyone! I do hope that 2011 brings you all you hope for and more.
Making New Year's resolutions has never been a regular occurrence. I always try to think of different things I'd like to see happen and change in a new year, but most resolutions fail, right? The ones I've made in the past have. So this year, my goals are a little different. And they're not just for 2011.
1. Be kind to myself - This one is first on my list for so many reasons. It's never been easy for me to look after myself. I carry so many self-destructive behaviours and thoughts and I really, really need to think more highly of myself. Treat myself better. I'm worth it.
2. When in need, ask for help - This has been a real problem for me, my entire life. When I was younger and struggling, I almost never thought to ask for help from those who cared about me. My family, my friends - I shut everyone out and suffered in silence. No more. I have a great network of people around me now and I have no excuse to not lean on other people for awhile if need be.
3. Be present - This one is mostly regarding my children. My Eldest is going full-time in primary school on Wednesday, it won't be long before my Littlest starts nursery for half-days. This time when they're little and I'm the centre of their universe won't last forever and I'm determined to provide them with happy memories.
4. Be kind to others - Remember my post about the lady with the umbrella who stopped to share with me while I was walking in the rain? After that happened, I promised myself that I would carry out random acts of kindness. It's so easy for me to float around in my own little world and not really listen to other people around me. I want to be a better wife, a better mother, a better friend, a better person. I'd like to do more to decrease world-suck around me. I've been very lucky in a lot of ways and not everyone is.
5. Be less afraid - When did it happen? When did I let fear rule so much of my life? It has to stop. I need to stop worrying about what other people will think of me. I'd like to break out and do scary things. Driving different places, putting myself in those awkward social situations that I worry about so much. Do something different and new and exciting. What's the worst that can happen?
And that's it for me. Wish me luck with my little list of resolutions! What're your New Year's resolutions? For your personal life? For your blog? For reading this year?